Sunday, September 30, 2012

Comparing Bodies

One of the things I do when I'm in a public situation and have the urge to compare is to say my mantra over and over again: "Everyone's DIFFERENT!" Not better, not worse, just different.

Yeah, I see these beautiful women with slender waists (I don't even HAVE a waist!) and slender upper arms (mine swing), but then I remember I also have to notice that some of them have tubby tushies, and thunder thighs, and some of them have no chins, and some of them have multiple chins, and some of them have straight hair and some of them have curly hair, blonde, black, huge boobs, no boobs, and all the other things that people can hate about themselves, and ya know what? Why am I obsessing over my "flaws" when I have so many other parts of my body that are just FINE, and why is it so important, anyway?

I have yet to see the "perfect" woman, but that's because she doesn't exist. So why should I expect perfection for myself?

When you compare, it's not reality; it's your obsession with perfection. Keep reminding yourself of that: it's NOT REAL! You are just as beautiful as the rest of them, if you can only allow yourself to see that. And while I will admit that I'm not always successful at this effort, I think it IS worth it, because I am working on allowing MYSELF to feel better. And that's what matters.

1 comment:

  1. I used to always worry about that stuff but don't anymore. I have learned to accept the things that I cannot change - it took me a long, long time to get to this point though!

    ReplyDelete