Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Troy Davis, RIP

My heart hurts so bad. I'm crying for a man I never knew. I am sickened by the fact that the US Supreme Court, which is dominated by Conservatives, didn't even bother to consider the concept of "guilty beyond any doubt". Why is it clear to me that there was great doubt, because 7 of 9 witnesses recanted. At least some of them were illiterate and did not understand the testimonies that they signed, and some of them said they had been forced by the police into giving false testimony. Also, one of the 2 witnesses who did not recant was the other prime suspect, and had actually admitted to the killing to a woman when drunk. She came forward with that evidence. Yet this was not worth anything to the Supreme Court justices.

A column I read said that he had 3 strikes against him. He was black, he allegedly killed a white man (a cop, no less), and he lived in Georgia. That apparently was enough to convict him, in spite of there being no physical evidence to link him to the crime.

This was not a judicial execution; it was a 21st century lynching.

No comments:

Post a Comment