Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Why I write about my health

Today's WEGO prompt is: I write about my health because...

Of a couple of reasons.

The first part is because, like many people with chronic health conditions, I have a lot of emotional issues surrounding my health. Journaling is not really helpful to me, but writing in the hope that at least someone will read it, and maybe even respond is what motivates me to keep on writing. And I haven't even begun to get into all the issues that bother me, even though I have had diabetes for 20 years. Everyone needs an emotional outlet, and I'm struggling to find mine, because I don't have much opportunity in my daily life.

The second part is that I'm naturally interested in science and medicine, and I read various blogs, newsletters, and journals and I want to share what I've learned. That means that I'm not writing about myself for the most part, because I don't fit into any of the diabetes boxes perfectly, but I want to share things that may be of value to others. I'm not a certified diabetes educator, and not eligible to become one, but that doesn't mean I can't contribute to the education of others.

I have come to have an interest in Type 2 diabetes and obesity, although I suffer from neither, because I feel like they are a very underserved population, and subject to a lot of scorn and shame and blame, and the more I read the scientific studies, the more I realize that it is not their fault, although there are things they can do to ameliorate the natural tendency toward Type 2 and obesity that they were born with. But in order to help people with Type 2, it is important to approach them with compassion and understanding, not to lecture them about what bad people they've been. So I guess I've cycled back to the beginning of my post, which is emotional support and caring. Yeah.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you are writing about your health and experiences Natalie! You might not be a certified diabetes educator, but as a member of the DOC, you have a lot more to offer than most CDEs (I know I am a little bit biased, but ...).

    ReplyDelete